Sunday 20 May 2012

Bluenose Race Day!


Today was the day that I have been planning for since I began running in February.  With great anticipation I donned the fuchsia run skirt I have been saving for this very day, along with a run singlet and sneakers and headed to the race course.  Unfortunately, I headed there as a spectator as I am still sidelined by my running injury, but that did not mean I could not look like a runner!  Because of this, my running partner had to tackle this solo, so I wanted to ensure I was there to cheer him on.  This was the first race I had ever attended as a spectator and I was surprised to see how many people were running.  I was worried I would not be able to see him, but luckily was able to cheer as he hit 2k and then later on we high-fived as he ran past at about the 8k mark.  




To be completely honest, I was a little teary on the sidelines under my sunglasses.  This race represented a lot of hard work and dedication, not being able to run was upsetting, frustrating and disappointing, especially considering that this was my first race, the goal that had jump-started my entry into this sport.  I quickly forgot my own feelings as my partner ran by, he was fulfilling his goal and I was extremely proud of him for doing so.  I also saw some of my other friends and running partners along the course and was able to enjoy being a spectator even if I could not participate. 

The day could not have been nicer; it was already hot at 8:30 when I left for the race.  It was inspiring to see people of all levels and abilities being active out in the fresh air on such a beautiful day.  I was extremely impressed to see parents running as they pushed a stroller, I only hope that I can be that hard-core if I ever become a mother.  



In terms of my own running, watching the race definitely left me with a desire to start running again as soon as possible.  Television is getting a little old; I cannot understand how people choose to lead sedentary lifestyles.  I am getting cabin fever; I could not do this long-term.  Walking more than 1k at this point (without pain) would be a real treat.  My exercise consists of bridges, ¼ one legged squats, some push-ups, other upper body exercises and additional homework from my physiotherapist.  If I want to go really wild I am allowed to ride the recumbent bike for 15 minutes on a low resistance setting. 

One advantage, and possibly disadvantage, to not being able to run is that I do not have to meticulously plan my eating around the running.  I cannot really do any cardio that would give me the runs, so, I can go a little crazy with the food!  For example, tonight, we are making my mother-in-law’s baked been recipe.  This is extremely exciting.  I never eat beans, and honestly, I may not live to tell this tale, they may just ravage me from the inside out.  But, it is a long-weekend, worst case scenario, we have one very “musical” evening and I spend tomorrow in the bathroom with several magazines.  If it really ends up being a shit-show, I pop a lot of Imodium on Tuesday before I head to work.  So, with that, I leave you for a feast of beans.  Remember, “run hard, be strong, think big”!  Congrats to all of those who ran the Bluenose today in Halifax!  


No comments:

Post a Comment