Saturday 27 July 2013

Should You Really Eat What You Want?

Anyone who has a digestive disorder likely spends an obscene amount of time fixating on food.  You either spend your time trying to determine your triggers or finding a way to avoid these triggers.  Sometimes you just want to throw caution to the wind and eat corn on the cob on a work night! I heard from one blogger recently who loves theatre popcorn, but pays for it each time she eats it.  Like many of us, she still goes back for more, but laments her decision soon after the movie!

For me the issue is pizza.  I cut out frozen pizza about three years ago and have never missed it. However, I have been reluctant to put take-out pizza on my do not eat list.  Recently, I realized that I have no choice. After a horrible reaction that ended with magic bags, heating pads, digestive enzymes, ginger ale, Advil and the fetal position, I realized I never wanted to experience that again. For this reason, I was compelled to take drastic measures to keep my pizza longings at bay:
This beauty has been attached to the fridge for several weeks now and every time I look at it I pause.  It helps to remind me of my last reaction and boosts my self-control just a little.  I have learned the hard way that it really isn't worth the inevitable reaction.  This is not to say that I never deviate, because I most certainly do, but, some reactions are worse than others and often not worth testing the waters.

2 comments:

  1. I have just been diagnosed with IBS but love pizza too and (as everyone is different it obviously depends what ingredient in the pizza is triggering your IBS)have found that using gluten free pizza bases reduces the effect it has on me

    Why not try making your own with gluten free bases and dairy free mozzerell with your fave veg?
    I had a quick search and found this for you:
    http://www.buteisland.com/a_mozzarella.htm
    Let us know how you get on : )

    Have a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny you mention gluten as a problem. I have been strongly considering trying a one-month gluten-free diet for some time now and am thinking I may take the plunge. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete